Alumni Spotlight

J. Harold Harrison (MD '48)

A Visionary Gift to Medical Education

By now, many of you have heard that one of our very own, the late Dr. J. Harold Harrison (MCG, ’48), left his alma mater an astounding leadership gift: $66 million to fund student and faculty initiatives.

Our university has benefited greatly from the support of Dr. Harrison and his wife, Sue. Last year, the Harrisons donated $10 million to support our new Education Commons building, which has been named in Dr. Harrison’s honor. His recent donation is, as far as we can determine, the largest gift ever received by a public university in Georgia and among the largest gifts ever received by a U.S. medical school.

We are extraordinarily grateful to once again benefit from the Harrisons’ generosity. As MCG Dean Peter F. Buckley noted to his faculty and staff, Dr. Harrison’s gift will help secure the best students and the best faculty for Georgia’s public medical school.

The impact of this level of investment in scholarship support is clear: We are now much better equipped to attract outstanding medical students with diverse talents and experiences. And endowed chairs? They are among the best ways to attract top professors from other institutions and to retain and reward existing faculty. Dr. Harrison’s generous support ensures our competitiveness in an increasingly competitive environment.

We are humbled by Dr. Harrison’s abiding commitment to the future of his alma mater—indeed the commitment of all those individuals, businesses, and foundations who invest in the future of Georgia Regents University.

Our vision is to be a top-tier university that is a destination of choice for education, health care, discovery, creativity, and innovation. Transformational gifts like the $66 million received from Dr. Harrison will serve as an example of leadership in action for future generations to follow.

 


 

 

 

1120 15th Street PERS-100 Augusta GA 30912 | 706.737.1759